Friday, February 06, 2009

Mortality and Me

It’s early; just after 6am slipping out of bed the visual from the second floor through the blinds was white, a far cry from my homeland. Ice covered the remains of what was once vivid green grass. After one Our Father and two Hail Mary’s I was ready for my daily dose of English tea, two sugars. Opting out of going to my morning office—Starbucks spoiling myself the American way with two mugs of hot chocolate whip cream and some sprinkles. Shit its 26 degrees, I’m wrapped up from head to toe like grandma still with the heater going not knowing what the hell to blog.

Then it hit me, “mama” my grandma, I’m smiling thinking what would she be doing right this moment. She had a full and exciting life, three score ten and eight years. She raised nine children and countless adopted ones with a host of grandchildren. I miss her dearly, the greatest influence par one in my life. So hence today’s blog the thought of my….MORTALITY.

The formative years were good to me; the teens were filled with discovery, change and dates with girls. The twenties witnessed a son, a financial career, my passion of event planning and Ron from California. My thirties were more exploration of identity than anything else of the man kind, a daughter and a near death experience. Now considered middle age and looming before me is my mortality, morbid as it may be its real and it has me wondering if today is my day and what would become of my young adult and little girl. With my mind on freeze I’m pondering life relishing the thought that life is an incurable disease.

"Oh Me, Oh My!'

Searching, wondering, trying
to find within as
whisperers of other souls
intoxicate my consciousness
with revelations of conformity
seemingly leaving me displace
Oh me, Oh why?
Race has its ramifications
as love has it preciousness
often times
stripping self-esteem
baring my vulnerability
at an age of expected maturity
Oh me...Oh my!

Copyright ©2009 Doug Anthony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home